Friday, September 20, 2013

Truman Tiger Trot

Thank you to the parents who attended the Parent Night on Tuesday.  I appreciate the time you took out of your busy lives to come and learn about your child's fourth grade year and how to make it as successful as possible. If you were unable to attend I sent the packet of information home with your child.  Please note that we are now doing conference sign up online.  You can access this on the Truman Website.
     This week we worked on summarizing text.  We used the rule of 5 and wrote written summaries.  This is one of the "big rocks" for 4th grade.  We talked quite a bit about how it is important to read to remember. As I looked over the data that I collected from the reading assessment I realized that all but 2 children in the class need to work on reading comprehension.  We are putting a lot of focus on this skill all year. At home you can work with your child on this by asking them to retell the events of the story they are reading or by asking your child about the characters in the story, where the story takes place, and what the problem is in the story.  If your child is not able to retell these things to you I would have them go back and reread until they are able to answer these questions.
    In math we are finishing up our unit one math which is multiplication. Most kids have mastered their basic multiplication facts by now. If your child has not I sent home flashcards with the facts that they still need to master. Please practice them with your child nightly. Sign the sheet and return them to me daily.  At school I am working with them on ways to help them learn these facts and continuing to give them their multiplication level tests.  I have talked to the kids about the importance of reading each math problem correctly and rereading it so they know what the question is asking.
     There were many children that did not return their spelling homework or their Comprehension Tidbits. Please note that the homework schedule is on back of the red take home folder and that spelling is due on Thursdays and comprehension is due on Friday.
    Please remember to earn money for the Truman Tiger Trot! This event will happen on Friday, Sept. 27th.  The money earned from this fundraiser will help get technology into the classrooms that don't have it.
     I have sent emails to you to check to make sure that I have the correct email address for you.  I will be using email to update you on your child's progress this year.  Please check to see if you have an email from me.
    
Half day - Sept. 25th.
Tenement houses are due Oct. 4th
Oct. 11th - Picture day